Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ice Day

I think the schools are calling it a snow day, but for me, it's about the ice. After a few rounds of wet snow followed by rain, Monday afternoon it switched back to snow and freezing temperatures. It took me nearly 2 1/2 hours to get home from work. It started to snow almost as soon as I left the parking lot, and then everyone else seemed to hit the roads at the same time. For awhile it was just stop and go from all the traffic, but then the temperature started to drop and all those cars started converting the thickly falling snow into a sheet of ice. Most people were driving pretty carefully but I did see an accident right next to me, numerous spinouts, and a couple of times I thought I was going to be hit as cars were sliding towards me. The hill up to where I live was completely blocked for awhile as cars were stuck or sliding, but I finally got home OK. These pictures are from early this morning. It cleared up over night so it got even colder.

There really isn't that much snow, maybe 3-4 inches, but see how shiny the road is? That's about 1 inch thick ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment