Thursday, December 13, 2007

Lucia Day


Santa Lucia's Day is an important pre-Christmas celebration in Sweden. Although she's an Italian saint, and the Swedes haven't been Catholic for centuries, she represents the bringing of light into the darkest time of the year. Traditionally, the oldest girl in the family dresses in white with candles in a wreath in her hair, and brings buns to the family in the early morning. It's now celebrated in public ceremonies all across Sweden, in schools, etc.
When I spent most of a year living in Stockholm, I learned first hand how depressing the winters can be there. I came across a speech given at the Nobel banquet in 1974 that expressed how this day brings hope for relief from the darkness.

Christian de Duve's speech at the Nobel Banquet, December 10, 1974
Your Majesty, Your Royal Highnesses, Ladies and Gentlemen, Fellow Students,I hope I may still be allowed to use the term fellow students. For we know that once we stop learning and call ourselves learned, we become useless members of the scientific society. On behalf of my fellow Nobel laureates and on my own, thank you for your kind words, and for your beautiful songs.

To me personally, they have been a reminder of my long association with Sweden and Swedish students. It started 35 years ago, when I attended a summer course at the University of Lund. I followed lectures on the history, geography, economy and political organization of Sweden. And I received a book called Ett år med Familjen Biörck to learn Swedish.

Efter tre veckor talade jag svenska flytande och reste till Stockholm. Där kommer jag ihåg ett skräckinjagande möte med en ung man som tog emot mig i ett tjänsterum som såg ut som det tillhörde minst ett statsråd. Den unge mannen var ordförande i medicinska föreningen. Jag skall inte säga hans namn, eftersom han numera är en framstående professor och ikväll finns här i Blå Hallen.

Sedan bröt kriget ut, och under några år levde jag i mörker med minnet av Sveriges sjöar, träd och blåa himmel. Det dröjde till 1946 innan jag kunde återvända och få tillbringa två oförglömliga år tillsammans med professor Hugo Theorell i hans laboratorium.

Vintern gick mot sitt slut när jag kom till Sverige, och utan att riktigt förstå det hela deltog jag i alla riter och hyllningar till vår och sommar; eldarna på Valborgsmäss, Midsommaraftonens dans till gryningen, solnedgången i skärgården när vattnet skimrade i alla regnbågens färger.

Sedan blev dagarna allt kortare, nätterna syntes utan slut, dagsljuset blev matt och grått. Vännerna omkring mig tycktes också med ens matta och gråa. Själv kände jag mig lite apatisk och nedstämd. Så en dag, just vid den här tiden på året, uppenbarade sig i laboratoriets mörker en otroligt vacker flicka, klädd i ett spökes vita dräkt, med långt gyllene hår och på huvudet bar hon en krona med brinnande ljus. Hon hette Brita och henne träffade jag varje dag. Men den kvällen var hon Lucia - en fe och gudinna. Hon lärde mig hur viktigt ljuset var: kunskapens ljus, fredens ljus, frihetens ljus, kärlekens ljus och det som har att göra med ömsesidig förståelse.
Jag vill gärna tro att just detta är budskapet från Ert land och från dessa storartade högtider. Tack.

English version of Swedish part
After three weeks, I spoke Swedish fluently and came to Stockholm, where I remember being admitted in the awesome presence of a young man, who was sitting in an office resembling that of a Minister of State. He was the President of the Medical Students Association. I will not name him, since he is now a famous professor and in this banquet hall tonight.

Then the war broke out, and for a number of years I lived in darkness, with the memory of the lakes, the trees and the skies of Sweden, until I returned in 1946 to spend two unforgettable years in the laboratory of Hugo Theorell.
I arrived at the end of the winter and joined, without quite understanding, in the rites of spring and of summer: lighting fires and waiting for the sun to rise on Valborgsmässoafton; dancing all night on Midsommarafton; watching the slow fractional distillation of all the colours of the spectrum as the sun came down over the shimmering waters in the Skärgård.

Later the days became shorter, the nights interminable, the light grey and dim. Like all my friends around me, I felt a little lethargic and depressed, until one day at just about this time of the year, in the darkness of the laboratory, I saw an extraordinary apparition: an unbelievably beautiful girl, in a ghostly white gown, with long golden hair, and on her head a crown of glowing candles. Her name was Brita and I saw her everyday. But that night she was Lucia, a magician and a goddess. And she told me the importance of light: The light of knowledge, the light of peace, the light of freedom, the light of love and of mutual understanding.

This, I believe, is the message of your country and of these
marvellous celebrations. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment