Monday, August 25, 2008

Closing

Since I was staying in Ojai and working at Lake Casitas every day, I didn't see any events other than rowing and canoe/kayak in 84. Of course, I was on the judge's stand for every kayaking final, so I can't complain. I did get a ticket, and transportation, to the Closing Ceremonies though. Here the final flag bearers enter the Memorial Coliseum.

They were positioned all around the infield of the track. Great Britain, with flag carrier Sebastian Coe, was right in front of my seat. He's now Lord Coe and head of the London Organizing Committee for the 2012 games.


A quote from Baron Pierre de Coubertin:


The important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take
part. The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

No comments:

Post a Comment