Friday, September 14, 2012

Boy Quilt

The neighbors with the new baby also have a first-grader, an adorable boy who is always cheerful and enthusiastic about what he's been up to. I thought he should have a quilt too, as a new big brother. I looked at several designs for using novelty fabrics, but came up with this very simplified version.




It uses 20 5 inch squares of novelty prints, with mock-sashing blocks of 2 inch Kona Stone, 1 inch blue and 2 inch Kona Stone. The alternate solid blocks and borders are also Kona Stone. I only came up with 10 prints that I thought worked, so each appears twice. The oldest fabric in the group had a selvage date from 1992! The designs are: Olympic Kids (children in different national uniforms with different sports equipment), raining cats and dogs, vintage guitars, world money, nautical flags, earth with a banner saying World Wide Web, Vancouver Olympic winter games, sailboats, Western Washington icons, and old US stamps. 

I quilted it with the Fern Ziggle design from one of the Pajama Quilter DVD's. It seemed too open in the large scale I used, so I echoed the inside. All in all, a quick and fun quilt to make!



1 comment:

  1. That is soo nice! The quilt is great and making it for the "big brother" was really sweet!

    ReplyDelete