Friday, September 26, 2014

Baby Stuff

Although I already made one quilt for Emily and Seb's expected little one, it was a little on the large and loud side, especially when I learned that they preferred a color scheme of navy and gray. I played with a few ideas, but decided to keep it really simple and have solid navy on one side and solid gray on the other. Quilted with a variegated King Tut thread on the navy side and a coordinating So Fine on the gray, this allowed me to practice some free motion quilting without regard to seam lines. I used In the Beginning's Modern Solids line in Indigo and Lead. This cross-weave fabric is much softer than other solid fabrics I've used, and combined with a thin, 100% cotton batt, made a really nice crinkly baby quilt.



I also made 2 baby slings with fabric that I hand-dyed. The first is an organic cotton twill which is very soft and cozy, but was perhaps a little too thick for pleating and running through the rings.


The second is an Essex linen/cotton blend. I know this fabric is popular with a lot of modern quilters, but I've never used it before. I may have to dye more and use it for a quilt in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment