The background is such a busy print that we knew that no quilting would really show up. So I used a thin blue thread and quilted sort of parallel wavy lines throughout to hold it in place and provide some texture. On the yellow, red and green mottled prints I used So Fine # 30 (formerly Brytes) in 6 different colors.
The outer patches have a spiky fern design.
The center area is where I went a little crazy. I wanted it to stand out even against all the strong colors, and I wanted it to be asymmetric, free-flowing, organic in nature. It started with only single stitching lines, but that wasn't reading strong enough, so most of the outlined shapes got stitched over 2 more times. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, and I think Jeanne was too.