Saturday, May 04, 2019

Bars Quilt

I really like the quilts of Tara Faughnan - her color sense is great and readily identifiable as hers. A couple of years ago, she taught a class on color at QuiltCon using the fairly simple Bars quilt. I saw and admired students' work on Instagram, and decided to try to make my own interpretation.

I started cutting up my solid scraps, some dating back to the 80s. I eliminated some whites and pale yellows, but pretty much everything else qualified as long as it was big enough. I think I cut rectangles 6 inches high and various widths, needing 2-3 rectangles minimum of each color. Then they were paired up and sewn together. These groupings were arranged and re-arranged on my design wall as I progressed. When I started running out of scraps, I started cutting up yardage.

As I was running out of combinations and/or enthusiasm for the design, I happened to see Anne Sullivan's segment on Fresh Quilting, where she interspersed sashing between rows of rectangles. I didn't want that much sashing, but I liked the look of occasionally breaking it up that way. So,:




1 comment:

  1. I love it, and I think the sashing works really well!

    ReplyDelete