Monday, August 01, 2016

More Ice Dyeing

July was a tough month. But I did some more dyeing as weather and events permitted. Here are some of my favorites.

Corner twist, Avocado.

Corner twist, Kingfisher Blue.


Accordion twist.

Corner twist.

Corner twist, Dances with Raisins.

Folded mandala.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Ice Dyeing

I'm half-way through quilting something, but haven't touched it for a couple of weeks, for a variety of reasons. Instead I've been learning and practicing ice dyeing. I've read about it before, but signed up for an online workshop from Susan Purney Mark in June. The weather has only allowed me to dye about once a week, but it's been fun. I love how simple twists and folds, combined with the ice, create intricate patterns. You never know exactly what you're going to get!

Here are some of my favorites so far:

Twisted from both corners.

Same dye colors as above, but accordion folded in both directions. 

Two dye combinations, each in a corner twist and an accordion fold. 

Twisted mandala.

Folded mandala,

T-shirt with accordion folds and triangles. 

Friday, May 27, 2016

Space Race

Finished this one just in time for May. Space Race was a pattern in an issue of Quiltmaker magazine from 1983. I had to adapt the pattern a little for rotary cutting with rulers - this pre-dated all that, and printed templates that were intended to be traced, cut out, and then traced around on the fabric and pieces individually cut out! Hard to believe sometimes how far we've come. Anyway, I measured all the templates and then cut them from strips. I had to make a few adjustments due to odd angles, but it mostly worked out.

The pattern called for all solids, but I substituted a few prints that matched values and the theme. And two of the rockets have flags representing the dual citizenship of my niece and her sons, the intended recipient.

Linking to Finish It Up Friday, which motivates me to actually finish and photograph some things.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Prismatic Echoes

In January, I was stumped as to what to work on next. I have tons of fabric, much of it in piles that 'go together' as well as stacks of patterns, magazines and books that have designs I'd like to make. But I wasn't making the connection between any of the fabric stacks and any of the patterns. Unable to make a decision, and stressed about not making a decision, one day I saw a picture of this quilt kit and thought, maybe I should just make a kit and be able to sew without having to make decisions.

That was a good plan, although of course it didn't turn out as simple as that. There was a lot of cutting before even getting to the sewing part, and then there were actually a lot of choices about what color to put where. After finishing the top, it got put aside for a bit while I made a quilt for my mom.

After quilting, binding and washing, I took it into the shop to show them, and incidentally take a few pictures on their clean floor with decent lighting.

Quilting on the darker portions is a loose fern design.

On the lighter sections, I quilted some straight lines to echo, and then filled in the gap with wishbones.

Prismatic Echoes is a free pattern from Robert Kaufman; it was the inspiration for this kit of Blueberry Park fabrics I got from my local quilt shop Circa 15 Fabric Studio. It's just now celebrating its one year anniversary, although I only discovered it last fall. It's a gorgeous shop, featuring all the modern fabrics and designs that are sometimes so hard to find locally.

Linking to Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Spring Darts

Mom has moved into an assisted living mini-apartment. The full-size bed quilts are too large for her hospital type bed, and although she has some lap quilts, I decided to make her a long, narrow quilt for the bed. I put together some prints with a spring flavor and then chose a solid to complement them.

This is a very easy pattern: just 1 square and 2 triangles of the print and the solid for each block. I used a triangle ruler that lets you cut the triangles from the same width strip as the squares, and was able to get the pieces for 4 blocks from each 4 1/2 " strip. 

I'm taking Christina Cameli's Wild Quilting class on Craftsy, and experimented with some of the designs on this.